What is Novel Coronavirus
- Novel Coronavirus (2019 n-CoV)is a large group of viruses which can be transmitted by both animals and people, especially those with cold-related diseases. This Wuhan strain has been associated with a market in the city that was active in wildlife trade in China. Wildlife species such as live deer, bats, wolf pups and over 100 wild animals on sale.
What are the symptoms
- According to the National Health Service (NHS) and the World Health Organization (WHO), the symptoms of the Wuhan coronavirus usually include:
- Cough and/or sore throat
- High fever
- Shortness of breath
How is the virus is transmitted
- This virus is airborne and can remain on objects such as knobs, handrails and smartphones.
- Indirect contact results when an infected and sick person coughs or sneezes and leaves coronavirus droplets on nearby surfaces.
What is the current situation in Singapore
- There is a total of 7 confirmed cases in Singapore.
- Hand sanitizers, anti-bacterial wipes and especially face masks are either selling out fast or is already sold out at all pharmacies and supermarkets across Singapore.
What actions can Singaporeans take to protect themselves
- Wear a mask. Surgical masks are good enough, there is no need for N95 masks.
- Wash and sanitize your hands frequently.
- Always carry hand sanitizer, tissues and anti-bacterial wipes with you everywhere.
- Check your temperate frequently.
- Avoid touching your hands, mouth and eyes with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- Avoid the consumption of raw or undercooked food.
- Avoid contact with live animals including poultry and birds.
- Keep surfaces clean so you don’t transfer germs from one surface to another.
- Avoid crowded places and around people who are unwell.
- See a doctor if you feel unwell and have the common symptoms and they do not improve in two to three days.
Are some groups of people more at risk than others
- People with any health conditions or a weak immune system.
- Young children under the age of two.
- Those over the age of 65.
Where can we stay updated